January 30, 2008

Cave Spring 2002 Cabernet-Merlot ... Re-Taste


(Re-Tasted January 2008) … I have to hand it to Tom Pennachetti of Cave Spring Cellars – he saw my previous Taste It Again review and was horrified to learn that his award winning wine was corked. He immediately contacted me to let me know that he had located another bottle and would I take a second look … to me that proves our wineries stand behind their products … so I took Tom up on his offer, and here’s what I found the second time around:

First, about the wine – it’s a blend of Franc (50%), Sauv (35%) and Merlot (15%) from the outstanding 2002 vintage. Most well made reds from ’02 would last 5 years with ease, and the very well made ones would go 10+. I feel this one could hold on longer as it falls into the very well made category. The nose is black raspberry with some cedar and herb notes, and as it opens in the glass, other dark fruits come around. The mouth shows more complexity than does the nose, heaping on top of the black raspberries with some currants and vanilla – tannins are definitely present upon opening, but soften over the next hour – smoothing this wine out to a luscious mouthfeel. It’s 2005 Cuvee win for best red was well deserved. There’s plenty of time left here, another 3 years wouldn’t hurt it in the least, but it’s drinking wonderfully now.

No comments: