February 18, 2008

Thirteenth Street Winery "Noirs”


(Re-Tasted February 2008)I was a big fan of the Thirteenth Street “Reds”, which was a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah and Zinfandel; so when the boys brought out “Noirs” (a blend of Gamay and Pinot) you just knew I was going to jump at it. Now, a few years on, this non-vintage wine seems like it just might have had a fighting chance – colour is still good. When I first opened it I smelled earth, sour cherry, cranberry, and … is that corkiness? The taste was also interesting: sour cherries, strawberry, definitely earth and something else ... there was also an effervescent feel on my tongue. I decided to give it some time to breathe to see what developed - and there it was, that slight corkiness I thought I had detected early on, came roaring out of the bottle 30 minutes later ... no doubt about it, this beauty had turned into a beast; too bad.

No comments: