March 7, 2012

Creekside Estate 2002 Cabernet



(Re-Tasted March 2012) ... If you have read the original review done in 2008 you'll notice at the end I said we'll try this one again in two years; well I am behind schedule, as it is now 4 years later and it is only now that the wine comes up for re-tasting.  First, I was shocked and appalled to see a plastic cork, but then around that time period Creekside was using the inferior closure.  I found the wine to be a little lean right from the get go showing a little more oxidation than you want in a wine, but less than I would have expected, based on the closure.  I was happy to see the wine still retained some good acidity and that there were also still quite a bit of tannin backbone, but there is something to the finish that didn't sit quite right:   it's funky - sweet (as in oxidized) and bitter (because the wood is showing through, especially the longer it sits open).  It is an old wine no doubt, but we must keep in mind it is 10 years old; the real question is, is it as "old" as it should be?  Guess we'll never know.  For this wine I would have loved to see a control wine either under cork or screwcap to compare.


No comments: