May 24, 2013

Lailey Vineyard 2009 Sauvignon Blanc


(Re-Tasted May 2013) ... It seems that the original podcast I made for this wine is lost, but I gave it 4-stars, so that has to mean something, doesn't it?  The other day while looking for something white and interesting in my cellar (besides myself) I came across this bottle of Lailey Sauvignon Blanc from 2009 - I sent an email over to winemaker Derek Barnett asking what he thought its chances of still being good were and he responded: "Drink it!!! From that vintage it should still be fresh, might have evolved with more intense green on the finish."  He wasn't far off, but I must say it is still a really enjoyable wine for those interested in how wine evolve - especially whites like Sauvignon Blanc.  It is also interesting to note that this wine did see some oak, so what happens with this wine might not be equivalent to those done without oak.  2009 was a great year for acidity and it seems to have preserved the wine it very intense way.  The wine is quite grassy but with really pleasant hints of creamy-vanilla (from the oak) and the citrus has turned more grapefruit rind than fresh juice giving it a slightly bitter-ish finish.  Intense for sure, but in a good way.  With all this praise I will also say that this might be the last summer to drag this one out and really enjoy it.

No comments: